Green bean casserole is a traditional side dish and a Thanksgiving favorite. With all the comfort food ingredients, it’s a temptation for those who are watching their weight, not eating dairy, or stick to a gluten free diet. Our green bean varieties Colter, Barron, and Desoto, are an excellent addition to any holiday table and here’s a recipe with healthy alternatives for those who are wanting to keep it light this season.
4 cups of fresh, whole green beans with the ends trimmed – Substitute with 2 cans of beans or 1 bag of frozen beans.
1 8 oz package of mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 small to medium sized chopped yellow, sweet onion
1 clove of fresh Garlic, minced
1 medium shallot, minced
2 tbs Olive Oil
1 cup of plain Greek yogurt – for dairy free, substitute soy or coconut yogurt.
1 tsp Corn starch
1 tsp Salt and Pepper
1 1/2 cups of crispy fried onions -for fewer calories, mix 4 tbs of minced dried onion, with ½ cup of gluten-free Panko style bread crumbs
½ cup grated parmesan cheese – for dairy free, you can use nutritional yeast, or a vegan substitute.
½ cup of sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large baking dish coat with olive oil, using a paper towel to spread a thin coat and set aside.
- In a large skillet add the remaining olive oil. Sautee the onions, garlic, shallots, and mushrooms until onions are translucent. Remove mix from pan and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Partially cook the fresh beans by placing in a large pot of boiling, lightly salted water for 5 minutes. Remove and strain, let cool before adding the sauce. If using frozen green beans, thaw in the microwave, if using canned, rinse well.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl, then add to the green beans. Add bean mixture to the baking dish.
- Mix topping in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until the top is golden brown.
For more information about our green bean varieties, check out our local products page. For a list of seed distributors, check out our distributor click map on our website: https://hmclause.com/distributors/